Wednesday 15 September 2010

Crispian’s Cryptic Comedy Catholic Crossword

Science, Reason and Critical thinking would like to celebrate the joyous occasion of the state visit of his holiness Pope Benedict XVI.

Despite the excitement of the ocasion, even the most faithful know that some of the prayer vigils and lengthy Latin masses can get just a little tedious. To relieve the monotony and help you while away the long hours, I have created the Cryptic Comedy Catholic Crossword to print out and take with you.

Click the printer friendly image below to embiggen and print:



Postscript:

Science, Reason and Critical Thinking does not condone the abusive and offensive answers that Daniel Pope has curiously managed to squeeze into the crossword grid.

8 comments:

Daniel Pope said...

Ha, that was good fun. Excellent work, Crispian! Slightly disappointed it wasn't dirtier or more abusive ;)

(my answers)

Unknown said...

You are a muster of the criticle thinking art space! I tip my hat to you - which i'm not wearing right now and too lazy to actually pick it up and tip... but you get the idea.

Great work!

Anonymous said...

Just so you know, this isn't a cryptic crossword. This is a regular crossword. A cryptic clue for "Koran" might be "Metal band around a book (5)". Cryptic clues (normally) have a wordplay part and a definition part. In the example I gave, "metal band" is "KORN", and KORN around A gives KOR(A)N. "Book" is obviously the definition. Which isn't to say you can't be snide in a cryptic clue; "Inflammatory scriptures? (5)" would be acceptably cryptic.

Crispian Jago said...

Andrew,

That'll teach me to expect poetic license when falsely expanding my alliterative titles

Anonymous said...

I did suspect it might be poetic license, (and legally 'cryptic crossword' isn't a protected title and any crossword can call itself 'cryptic') but it's a bit misleading. I was expecting a cryptic crossword and I was disappointed when I didn't get one. Someone else will see "cryptic crossword" and ignore it because they can't do cryptics.

Anonymous said...

I did suspect it might be poetic license, (and legally 'cryptic crossword' isn't a protected title and any crossword can call itself 'cryptic') but it's a bit misleading. I was expecting a cryptic crossword and I was disappointed when I didn't get one. Someone else will see "cryptic crossword" and ignore it because they can't do cryptics.

Neuroskeptic said...

Promising more in the title than you actually get is the Catholic way.

They say they're the "One, Holy, Apostolic and Catholic [universal] Church."

They are none of those. Although you could argue the historical toss about "Apostolic"...

So Crispian is just being Catholic.

Michael Kingsford Gray said...

When do you find the time to generate all of this high-quality output?
If I tried to even do a tenth of what you achieve, a tenth as well, it would be a full-time job!